In the interest of not wasting all my motivation and drive on a work project, I decided that I'd write this post and outline some of the things that I need to work on in the interest of improving my novel. Firstly, it would seem that I'm no Dickens when it comes to giving colourful and descriptive names to my characters. All of my characters could quite comfortably appear on a 22nd century Jeremy Kyle show and not seem out of place: that is, their names are mere sounds with strange and exotic spellings that lack meaning, relevance and class.
After the issue with the names, I really do need to treat the potential reader to a lactose-free diet. By that I mean I need to cut the cheese out. I've been reading things that annoy the hell out of me when I see it in somebody else's book. God alone knows why I thought I could justify including something that irritates me so much. Just to give you a few examples: the cheesy, clichéd protagonist who has to do everything alone; and the baddy explaining himself just before he commits his final act of evil.
There are also quite a few loose ends that need tying up (or better yet, removing). After years and years of writing (without being published) and years and years of translating documents (which I'm sure have been published somewhere), I feel that I've got an excellent understanding of structure and, to be honest, I am quite happy with the structure of the novel.
So, all in all, I have to work on three things over the next few weeks:
- Renaming my characters.
- Removing the cheese.
- Tying up the loose ends.
Well, I think that's enough skiving for today. I'm going to get some work done before I lose myself a client.